Project 1 – Some design choices that I had to make for my first blog post were to choose a color that could be used to point out the differences to signal rich vs poor. I chose yellow to signify the color of gold and use a darker shade of blue to signify the poor areas. Since the project involved lights out in the neighborhoods, I thought that choosing yellow for the area that has less lights out complaints would be significant and choosing a dark color for the areas that have a higher number of complaints of their lights being out. I decided to create a map because I believe it’s the best way to clearly show the difference between the poor and rich neighborhoods.
Project 2 – For my second project I ran into some issues with the data that I was working with. Netflix doesn’t repeat shows in your viewing history so I couldn’t show how many times I’ve watched a specific episode which is what I was going for. I also decided to use strong colors that will make the differences stand out, so I used the red and gold color palette. I really like how the two colors look together and I chose the same color for my previous blog post.
Project 3- For my third project I had the most difficult choices when it came to the designs of the dashboards. I chose to stay with the same color combination of orange and light blue for all the worksheets. My favorite baseball team is the Yankees so I wanted to use their colors which are blue and white, but I thought orange and blue will look better. I decided to make the project more interactive than my previous ones since I had more control over the data that I was going to be using. I decided to use gifs to show people what home runs and strikeouts were, rather than explaining it through just words. I also decided to design one of my worksheets as a baseball card as a suggestion of Professor McSweeney. People enjoyed flipping through the different players and seeing their statistics change. One important decision that I made was with my crosstabulation. Instead of simply displaying the table which would’ve been informative but bland, I decided to use the information and display it through a bar chart, which looks more interesting and easier to understand.